Monday, December 15, 2008

Schmeltzer's 2nd Post: Must-see TV for the Sports Fan


It’s about that time for me to step up to the plate (pun intended) and deliver my second and last entry of 2008. It’s hard to believe we are about two weeks away from the start of a new year. For me, this is one of the most exciting times of the year due to the fact that it’s college football bowl season. Now, I know for me it’s always baseball first, but what true sports fan can honestly say that he/she doesn’t enjoy a little college pigskin during this time of year?

Bowl Season: I would love to dedicate this entire post to predicting all the games, but that would probably get a bit long and wouldn’t appeal to everyone, so I’m just going to predict the winner of the first game, which will be played on Saturday, December 20th. The game is the Eaglebank Bowl and will feature Wake Forest (7-5) versus Navy (8-4). On a side note, the names of these bowls get worse every year. The last weekend in September these two teams met up in Wake Forest and Navy was able to pull out a 24-17 victory. Although, this time around, I believe Wake will get the better of the match-up and steal this one 27-14. I just can’t give the nod to a team that lost to Notre Dame, sorry Midshipmen fans.

On the NFL: I am a big Packers fan and anyone who can say the same, would have to agree that the season has been a really tough pill to swallow. You can come up with tons of reasons why this season didn’t play out as well as one would have hoped, but in the end they just lost too many close games. Good teams find a way to win, and they just couldn’t do it when it mattered most. I do believe, however, they will come back strong next year and be considered the team to beat in the NFC North (although that’s not saying much).

On the NBA: OK, so I don’t really pay that close of attention to the NBA but from the little I do know…the Celtics and Lakers are REALLY good. With a combined record of 42-5 (as of today) and both teams winning by an average of over 10 points a game…look out. These teams will meet up for the first time this season in LA on Christmas Day. Make sure to flip over to NBC in between bowl game commercials to check it out. You won’t be disappointed.

On the Holidays: One of the biggest traditions I enjoy during the holidays is the 24 hour marathon of “A Christmas Story.” If you don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s the 1983 movie about the little kid (Ralph) who asks for the Red Ryder BB gun and is always told no because, “You’ll shoot your eye out”. Both my brother and I will watch this back-to-back-to-back-to-back, etc. My cousins enjoy bits and pieces of this flick, but also do their best to get the remote control and take back control of the TV. It’s a constant battle that has become a tradition.

That’s it for Blog # 2. I hope that everyone who’s reading this has a wonderful holiday season. Be safe if you are traveling and certainly enjoy the time you spend with family and friends. Make sure to get your fill of cut-out cookies and egg nog. See you in 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment