Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kelsey Golackson's First Blog - The best softball player in the world (err, La Crosse)

As I sit here thinking about what in the world I could possibly write a blog about, I think it’s fitting that I start with an introduction. With Jerrad on my back about getting this blog in, I suppose I should just get right to it. I’m Kelsey Golackson, the box office manager for the Mallards this season. I’m beginning my second year here with the Mallards, my first being spent as a Souvenir/Operations Intern last summer. This year, I suppose you could say I’m moving up in the world and into the ticket office. I must say, at first the promotion seemed daunting, but I’m beginning to come to grips with it and really enjoying my work. It doesn’t hurt that I have fellow UW-LaCrosse softball alum in Liz Kern as a boss. We’re still trying to convince the boys that softball is a pretty good sport too.

Overall, the ticket world is much different than my experiences from last summer. Instead of getting a tan, moving boxes, and folding t-shirts, I’m answering phones, mailing tickets, and helping in the air conditioned office wherever I’m needed. Needless to say I don’t get outside as much as I did before (as you can see from my pasty skin). I’m also realizing just how much work it takes to run a ball club like the Mallards. The front office staff does an incredible job of keeping this place running smoothly. Vern is a great guy to work for. He always has all of these different ideas on how to make the ball park a better place. I wish I were that creative. Liz is a pretty great person to have as a boss. It’s amazing how she is constantly aware of everything that is happening in the ticket system. I just do the best that I can to keep up with her and have learned that she doesn’t like Post-its as much as Mike and I do. I can’t believe she can put up with my incessant questioning, but somehow she does it all with a smile on her face.

I’m still trying to learn the intricacies of the ticketing system, but so far the fans have been great at putting up with me. We’ve had a lot of fun and interesting promos and events here at the stadium that I’m still getting used to. Right now we’re trying to prepare for Rhythm and Booms. It should be a fun night…busy, but fun, nonetheless. Kyle (our tickets salesman/souvenir vendor/beer mover extraordinaire), Liz, suite Intern Amie, and I have been working hard to make sure that we have all the tickets we need ready and where they are supposed to be. Hopefully we can pull this off without a hitch.

It’s hard to believe that it’s almost July already. Wow, the summer is flying by. Everyone around the office is busy with their respective duties and are constantly in motion. We have a good group of interns this year who keep the place running smoothly. Having another employee named Kelsey (as in this year’s souvenir intern) keeps me on my toes and keeps things interesting. I never knew if everyone was talking to me or not until we gave her the nickname K-deuce. That cleared up some of the confusion. We’re lucky to have such a great group working for us this year.

Well, I guess I’ll wrap it up. Hopefully you weren’t bored to tears by this entry. I think the interns are up next for blog postings, so you’ll get to hear their version of events. I hope to be seeing you at the ballpark soon.

Go Mallards!

3 comments:

  1. Hey you - Thanks for sharing your Mountain Dew with me the other day, that was glorious!

    Look me up next time you're in LaX!


    Rachel Amber Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. When can we share a Mountain Dew???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi if any of the Mallards would like to play in an international softball tournament then contact us at www.softballallstars.com take care

    ReplyDelete