Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nick Part III - It's a "Super" week!


For this installment of my blog I had a really hard time trying to think what I was going to write about. I was thinking about work stuff, and the Super Bowl, and the Mallards basketball team, so I think between the three topics I should get to the minimum 500 word requirement.


In the wonderful world of Mallards I have been busy making cold calls, sending emails and trying to gather new sales leads to get the ’09 schedule into people’s hands. Going into this season the Sales team knew it would be difficult to get people to think about group/client outings with how the economy is, but so far most people have been receptive and haven’t really used the economy as a crutch. I mean where else can you be entertained for a whole evening for only $7!


Also during this off-season I have been busy ordering Mallards gear for the souvenir shops. Every spring Vern and I head up to Sports Impressions in the Dells and put our order in for all of our t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc. We will be heading there in the next couple weeks to get all that jazz going. One of my favorite items I have ordered so far was a premium felt pennant, which you can roll up and it does not wrinkle or bend. Another one of my favorites is a Mallards wall clock. And for all of those who missed out on the Mallards foam cowboy hats last summer I will have a new shipment in for this summer!


And on to the Super Bowl. Mallards Manager (CJ Thieleke) put it best as he walked in to the office Monday morning and stated it is a “Super Week”. I am pretty sure I have my pick set in stone for the big game and here are my reasons why.


I like Pittsburgh’s tough defense (Troy Polamalu’s wins the “Best Hair Award”….sorry Kevin) and their experience having been there three years ago. They have played pretty solid all year long and as much as I don’t like Roethlisberger you have to give it to him, he is one tough SOB and can take a hit and bounce right back up. And don’t forget about “Fast” Willie Parker. When healthy he can be one of the most versatile backs in the league.


As for the Cardinals, they have never been to a Super Bowl. It will be interesting to see how they come out and play in the first couple minutes of the game. They are a young team and might have the deer in headlights look. Can “Old Man” Warner lead the Cardinals to the promised land as he did with the Rams or will he be back bagging groceries after the season is over? The thing that worries me the most is that the Cardinals have been streaky to say the least. Some games their offense would just flip a switch and take over a game and on the other hand the offense isn’t there and the “D” gives up 48, such as in the Thanksgiving Day game against the Eagles. You also have to wonder if Anquan Boldin will quit being a baby and just play already? I mean you are in the Super Bowl! I bet there are dozens of other receivers that wouldn’t mind playing a limited role and being in the big game.


Well here is my official pick: Steelers 38 Cardinals 17


Besides the game I love the commercials. I think some years it’s more fun than watching the actual game. I have searched through the archives and picked out some of my favorite commercials from the past Super Bowls. Search YouTube for the following clips:


Electronic Data Systems "Cat Herder"


E-Trade "Freaky Clown"


Bud Light "Rock, Paper, Scissors"


Career Builder "Monkeys"


Budweiser "Clydesdales Football"



I hope you enjoyed some of my favorite clips!


As for the Mallards basketball team we are 1-3 on the season. The losses have been by a combined 10 points. Last night we lost another close game by 5 points.


Until next time……Go Steelers!!!


P.S. If you ever see Kevin Caloia around ask him about his addiction to the word search in the WSJ…..He loves them so much he spends most of his “personal” time doing them!!




No comments:

Post a Comment