Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Getting to know your 2009 Madison Mallards


Here's a more in-depth look at what exactly your 2009 Madison Mallards have to say about playing at the "Duck Pond" in front of 6,000 zany fans for the very first time:


Nick Chmielewski, So., RHP, Illinois


Said the funky-named flame thrower, “Brandon (Wikoff) and (former Mallard) Joe Bonadonna have nothing but good things to say about playing in Madison for coach Thieleke, so I’m just excited to get up there and start making a name for myself.”

Joe Panik, Fr., IF, St. John's.

"I have big shoes to fill but my main goal this summer is to improve upon every facet of my game while trying to win a Northwoods League Championship for the city of Madison. I just can't wait to get started, " said Panik.

Greg Bieker, Jr., OF, Fort Hays St.

“He (referring to his brother Jeff, a former Mallard) told me that there isn’t a more rewarding and fun place to play summer ball in the country so to say that I’m excited to make the trek up to Madison is the understatement of the year, " said Bieker.

Mark Ginther, So., IF, Oklahoma St.

“He (referring to former Mallard Neil Medchill) likes to talk about how the crowds for Mallards games are much, much bigger than any college venue we’ll experience this spring. That gets me really excited to experience that atmosphere first-hand.”

Jimmy Parque, Jr., OF, St. John's.

“Will (referring to former Mallard Will Vogel) said Madison was the ultimate place to play summer collegiate baseball and he really enjoyed learning from C.J. and his staff. I know when I get up there I’ll be soaking everything in and trying to learn as much as I can just like he did.”

*I would be remiss if I didn't put some sort of closure on the Mallards MSCR basketball experience in the Cypress Hill Division. After winning the second half, the team made it to the division championship game but lost 38-34 in an epic battle of two teams not wanting to give an inch (just ask John Schmeltzer). Alas, we awarded ourselves the imaginary "Most Improved" award after recovering from an abysmal 1-5 first half record. Big thanks to Ed Sloten for his support on Monday night as well.

Schmeltzer follows this post and will blog Thursday for your enjoyment.


No comments:

Post a Comment