Thursday, November 20, 2008

Kevin's First Blogtastic Entry - It’s Always Summer


If you are a regular reader of our blog then you probably already know a lot about me, my mullet hair style (which might be coming back in style, you never know), and my inability to jump while playing basketball. I am extremely fortunate that my co-workers like me enough to include me in their blogs and even devote sections of their blogs to my hair. I am truly surprised that they have no choice but to highlight some of my other great features and characteristics; however, I feel that they are saving them for future blogs.

My plan was to focus this week’s blog on the Bears crushing victory over the Packers… but as all of America saw, my beloved Chicago Bears forgot to show up in Green Bay and got badly embarrassed. I was lucky enough to be vacationing in Knoxville, Tennessee so I did not have to receive flack from all my Packer fan roommates during the game. It was a slap in the face when Fox took the game off the air, stating that it was no longer “competitive” with about 3 minutes left in the third quarter. However, halfway through this week I lucked out, as the Cubbies were able to sign and secure another great starting pitcher giving them the best rotation in the NL Central! Yep, the gentleman who Cubs fans used to refer to as Dumpster (during his time as a reliever), is now a star starting pitcher and is locked up with the Cubbies for another 4 years.

Instead I will give you a view into my little world here at the Mallards office and my cave as some of my coworkers like to call it. I am fortunate to have one of the few cubes which does not have a window for natural light, and my cubicle walls block most of the light from our ceiling lamps. However, I am graced with some wonderful pictures which I cherish. The first one, which was a gift from David Boyer (the Concessions MGR) to the previous resident who had this cubicle is a picture frame filled with about 8 different pictures of what it would look like if this cube had a window. The frame is only 12x10 inches but it is a very accurate representation of what is on the other side of the wall. The key is the combination of the 8 different pictures to create one big picture. They are so nicely put together that I often wonder if the creator was a 3 year old or drunk. It is the thought that matters though, and for that reason it is truly a wonderful gift and a Mallards front office staple.

The next picture is a flyover from 2007, taking up most of the wall, this is a good substitute for a window. It is also nice to look at the ballpark and see how things have changed over the past couple of years, and envision the new improvements which we are going to create at the ballpark. The best thing about my cubicle, it is always summer because there is never any snow covering my view of the ballpark. The wildcard and last picture which I have on my desk is a photo of John Fitzgerald Kennedy. I get the most questions about this photograph, as everyone always wonders why I have the picture, but I like to keep people guessing.

The pride and joy of my cubicle though, is the background on my computer, a large Chicago Bears logo which every Packer fan gets to look at in disgust everyday. Some of you might be like my fellow coworkers, sporting pictures of Brewers players, a family photo, or even a hot babe, but I prefer a peaceful orange and navy blue growling Bears head. The best part about my background is when I return back to the office from meetings. For some reason it always seems that the background has mysteriously changed to a gigantic Packers or Brewers logo, multiple pictures of myself with a mustache and mullet (which is always funny), or to a random fan/Mallards photo which was taken years ago and recently resurfaced on someone’s computer. It is always a nice treat when returning to the office to see what has been done to your desk, computer, or chair… but we can get into those glorious details in the future and some of the other fun games that go on here in the office. Note to readers: anything can be used as a projectile, not just baseballs in this office.

Well loyal readers, have a great rest of the week and a wonderful weekend.

(I'm also proud to note that our curling team (Team Ice Ducks) comprised of myself, Jerrad, John, and Steven Stewart won our first match last night! A big shout out to Steven's dad for giving us much-needed pointers beforehand! If you're ever bored and need a good laugh you can catch us at the Arlington Curling Club every Wednesday night.)

5 comments:

  1. What happend to the Ice Ducks name???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck with the Ice Ducks what happened to the bears. Packers rule with Rogers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin you are the man!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely hockey hair, cant wait o get back up there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin is such a hottie! I see him all the time in the Duck Blind during the summer. Does anyone know if he single? ;)

    ReplyDelete