Thursday, November 13, 2008

Schmeltzer’s First Blog – Bars, Cards & Maynard’s


Well, it’s probably going to be a little difficult to top the last blog by fellow co-worker and PR Master, Jerrad Radocay, but I will do my best.

Here’s a little bit about myself and how I got started in the Mallards organization.

I grew up in Oregon (no, not the state) and played High School baseball with Darren Everson as my assistant coach. Some of you die hard Madison baseball fans might recognize that name and recall that he played with the Madison Black Wolf and served as Field Manager for the Wisconsin Woodchucks from 2004-05. He informed me about the Mallards and what a great organization they were, so back in 2003 I ended up doing a job shadow during the summer. It mainly consisted of running the radar gun, getting notes/stats set-up for the media, helping maintain the cleanliness of the park, etc. It was a nice start and got me interested in some of the things that go on behind the scenes of running a ball club.

In 2004 I was hired as a Marketing/Operations Intern. It was probably the best summer of my life. The amount of hours you put into this position is CRAZY! Although, if you have that love and passion for the game and enjoy the people you work with, it doesn’t seem all that bad and the days are over before you realize it. I spent a lot of time that summer with Spencer Sweet & Kyle Sullivan, whom by the way were both Operations Interns as well. At that time, no one was really responsible for moving beer during the day, so that basically fell on our shoulders. Not sure why, but when you’re an intern you don’t really ask. Like I said earlier, it was a summer I would have never changed for anything. Shout out to Mr. Vincent Cholewa, who also put in long hours that summer and will never get over the fact the Cubs will never win a World Series in his lifetime.

In 2005 I was “promoted” to the Marketing Manager. I had a great couple of interns that summer that made my life easy. Brian Ballweg and Kyle Buchmann…good lookin’ out fellas. The picture in this blog is a shot of Governor Doyle as he launches the first pitch during my ’05 Campaign as Marketing Manager.

From 2006 until this day I have assumed the position as a Group Sales & Operations Manager. My main goal is to sell private suites and other tickets packages to clients in and around Madison. I also help with the staffing around the park and other random activities that you probably would never even realize go into making this ballpark function the way it does.

One question that I get asked a lot is, “Where do you work in the off-season”?

It always makes me laugh, because some people don’t realize this is a REAL full-time job. When the season ends there is still a lot of teardown, clean-up and preparation that goes into brainstorming for the next year. Yeah, it’s slow this time of year but the schedule will be released in late November, early December and from that time on it’s a sprint to Opening Day. Get ready for 2009 folks… we have some real entertaining ideas floating around the office.

Finally, I would be remised if I didn’t recognize the Philadelphia Phillies…well, not so much the Phillies as the National League East. Way to represent! (I’m a big Atlanta Braves Fan)

Thanks for staying tuned to Maynard’s Musings. Next up on 11/18 you will hear from Nick Staehler, who is currently holding down the cellar spot in the office Fantasy Football League.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff John-

    I miss the days of the Mallards! I would love a guest blog spot to get all nostalgic. Keep doin what ya'll do... best in the business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Id love to work for a baseball team. What kind of degree do you need to do that? What kind of salary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my bachelor's degree in Sport Management at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse. I then received a Master's in Sport Administration. You don't necessarily need one of those degrees, there are plenty of other ways to get into baseball.

    As far as salary goes...it all just depends ;)

    ReplyDelete